DIVISION MANAGER – NEW BUILD CONSTRUCTION
Bassi is hiring a Division Manager for their “New Build Construction” division to join the team in Ottawa, Ontario. The Division Manager plans, oversees, and manages the end-to-end delivery of a designated program of projects with various risk profiles, and ensures delivery within scope, budget and requirements. At this level, projects have durations of 2-5 years and budgets in the range of $15-150 million.
Reporting to the President, this position will be responsible for overseeing multiple projects lead by a team of Project Managers, Coordinators, Administrators, Superintendents and other support staff. The Division Manager will be responsible for overall delivery of the project objectives and will oversee quality throughout its life cycle, including pre-construction activities. The Division Manager will apply defined project management processes while managing cross-functional teams of internal and external experts to meet the project timelines, milestones and budgets.
As a member of the senior management team at Bassi, the Division Manager will also be involved in strategic discussions and execution planning related to the overall business.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides strong leadership, guidance, coaching and support to the project management team in the continuous review, identification, development and implementation of processes to optimize program/project delivery.
- Collaborates with Finance team to ensure ongoing profitability.
- Oversees the development and implementation of project plans, budgets, and overall execution of project delivery and close-out requirements.
- Continuously engages clients in discussions to understand and anticipate needs, identify and recommend additional services
- Accountable for resolving escalated issues from project management team members, managing client expectations, and ensuring client satisfaction
- Provides leadership to implement a project safety and quality culture with the support of Bassi processes and governance, developing project safety and quality objectives, tracking and reporting on performance, and acting to ensure safe and high-quality project delivery.
- Develops and implements an execution strategy for the projects that heightens performance against business objectives and ensures execution success
- Consistently demonstrates the ability to proactively identify potential project problems or opportunities, analyzes the issues using all appropriate resources, develops alternatives, and arrives at the most optimum approach to mitigate problems or exploit opportunities.
- Identifies program risks and develops and implements mitigation and contingency plans.
- Provides clear direction to team members and distributes workload to capitalize on individual and group strengths
- Manages all aspects of project performance including tracking progress of project against milestones on an on-going basis, taking corrective action as required
- Monitors and ensures the change management process is established and functional in accordance with contractual requirements
- Ensures working capital is properly managed through timely billings and oversight over construction
- Reviews, develops and negotiates contracts and subcontracts while assessing risk and ensuring mitigation plans are in place to address such risks
- Ability to lead and engage a team
- Ability to mentor and coach individuals
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of successfully delivering projects on time and on budget
- Commercial and business acumen as it relates to the budgeting, scheduling and forecasting of projects
- Demonstrated ability to building effective business relationships with internal teams, clients, third parties service providers, and other business partner companies
- Knowledge of methods in proposal bidding, purchasing, negotiating, contracting, cash flow is desired
- Possesses a continuous improvement and quality mindset along with a desire to continuously seek and incorporate innovative practices and technologies in order to deliver value to the client
- Superior planning and organizational skills
- Familiarity with standard construction contracts and associated subcontracts
- 15+ years of progressive experience in construction management projects
- 10+ years of Project Management and execution experience
- Completion of post-secondary education in Engineering, Construction or related discipline
- Project Management (PMP) PMI Certified is desired
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications in particular – MS Project or equivalent, MS Excel, MS Outlook, along with ability to quickly learn new applications